Saturday, October 15, 2005

Throughout the season, I don't pay much attention to the American League. First off, it just doesn't seem like real baseball with their lack of fundamentals, designated hitter, and high payrolls. Or maybe it's a non stop ESPN coverage of the Yankees and Red Sox. I've only written like 5 posts and I'm sure my readers can tell by now I am not a fan of the east coast bias. However, the White Sox have shown me something. They can pitch. I almost forgot they had the 2003 AL Cy Young winner. Contreras, Buerhle, and Garland are something special. They have stepped up huge when asked. My only gripe is Guillen allowing his pitchers to go so deep into games. Why not let the bullpen warm-up and take care of business. After all it is the job of a closer to close games. In a series when Garland may be needed twice, why risk having him throw 118 pitches and go the distance. Paul Konerko might be seen as the real hero of the White Sox, but it is their pitching that scares me. Of course in my mind, if the White Sox make it to the World Series and they have to face the Astros, they will get dominated by Clemens, Pettitte, and Oswalt.

It is Saturday and football is finally on. Football that matters anyways. Sure we have embarrassing games on during the week like NC State, but it's Saturday, and we have USC vs Notre Dame. We have the Gators and the Noles and the Longhorns. Saturday is a glorious day for sports fans everywhere. In fact, I'm going to keep today's entry short because it's already after 11:00 and College Gameday is on. I can't wait to watch Corso. This man cracks me up. Has there ever been a week he hasn't picked FSU to win? What a homer.

Since we've got the NFL coming on tomorrow, and I know most of you probably play fantasy football, I'm going to list some of my sleeper type picks/good starts of the week.

QB- Has Peyton Manning ever been considered a sleeper pick? Well with the way he's been sucking this year, I think he warrants a spot on my list. This might be the week he returns to form (ya he had a nice 4 td game a few weeks ago, but I'm looking for consistency)
WR- Joe Jurevicous showed what he can do last week when given an opportunity to play in a starting roll. Seattle is playing Houston this week and will likely put up some points against the leagues worst team. I'm going to that this opportunity to bash Houston again. Has there ever been a team to roll with the same awful coach for so long. They've never had a winning season. With all those top 5 draft picks you'd think they could get some players on that squad.
RB- Priest Holmes is my RB pick. Once again, a first rounder shouldn't be mentioned, but Roaf is finally coming back and Priest will light it up.
TE- Troupe has scored 3 tds so far this season. McNair is looking his way more often. I had the pleasure to watch Troupe in college and let me tell you, he is a stud. He will be a fantasy stud by the end of the year.
K- Scobee will likely get a couple field goals. He nailed two 50 yarders last week. Pittsburgh should keep Jacksonville out of the endzone forcing them to kick field goals.
DEF- Gotta go with Seattle this week. They're playing the worst offense and worst team in the NFL.

If I remember correctly, in my first post I mentioned that I wouldn't talk about women sports. Michelle Wie is an exception in this post because I wanted to rant about how I'm still not impressed. So she just turned pro and shot a 65 and might win a tournament this weekend, her first as a pro. That's great and all, but guess what.. She's still 16 and still hasn't won anything important. I don't want to hear about how Wie can play against men on the PGA Tour because you know what, she can't. After Michelle wins 6 Majors or so, then maybe she can a have a shot. But when the undisputed best woman golfer in the history of the game Annika Sorenstram can't even compete against the men, Michelle can't either. I don't want her taking up a man's spot in a tournament just because she might draw a crowd. She may draw a crowd on Thursday and Friday, but come the weekend she will be packing her bags back to Hawaii. That's all the time I have to write about Wie.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might enjoy discussing michelle rodriguez fake along with the other in LOST

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home