Thursday, October 20, 2005


The World Series, Baseball News, and Teddy Bruschi

Last night will forever be remembered as one of the greatest sports moment I have ever seen. The Astros 5-1 victory over the Cardinals is a significant moment in my life. Ever since I was a young boy playing little league, I looked up to certain Astros. From legendary players such as Nolan Ryan and Mike Scott to the faces of the franchise Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell. I have collected Astros memorabilia, cards, autographs, hats, you name it.. I have it.

Never has an organization wanted something more than the Astros wanted a World Series appearance. The NLCS Championship win last night is the greatest accomplishment in the history of the Houston Astros. I have followed the Astros my whole life. Being born in Houston comes with a certain pride, and part of that pride is a love of the Astros. No matter how many times they suffered first round playoff losses, we have come back the next season ready to compete. The Astros are one of baseball's top 5 winningest franchises in the last decade. It is an amazing feeling to watch a team who has struggled for so long in the playoffs to achieve their goals, to be given an opportunity to go down in baseball history. The Astros are 4 wins away from the World Series Championship. Something they have never experienced. There is something special about this season. Clemens looking to give his hometown a championship, Biggio and Bagwell looking to play in their first World Series, and so much more.

The White Sox are the toughest competition the Astros could have faced. They have pitching that rivals Houston's and an offense that is slightly more potent. If the Astros can dominate defensively like they have, I honestly feel like they will win it all. If watching Houston win a NLCS could make me feel so good, I can't imagine what a World Series championship will do. Yankees and Cardinal fans are spoiled by all their rings. It will be exciting to watch a World Series with teams who haven't been in over 44 years. All I can say is thank you for giving it your all and good luck in the World Series.

In other baseball news, Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone has decided to leave Atlanta and join the Baltimore Orioles organization. This is a huge blow for Atlanta and an amazing pickup for Baltimore. Leo Mazzone can be given credit for creating one of the most dominating pitching teams in the last 15 years. He helped create guys like Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine. He turns average pitchers into studs. "From 1992 through this season, the Braves ranked first or second in the NL in ERA in every year but two." ( from espn.com) The Braves will miss him. 2006 could be the first time in like 14 years the Braves don't win the NL East.

What can be said about Teddy Bruschi? The man suffered a stroke, and is back on the practice field with the New England Patriots. It's not unheard of for strokes to actually kill people, and Bruschi is ready to play football. The doctors cleared him to play, but I am still hesitant to say he can return to form. Do linebackers get gun-shy? They are the ones doing the hitting, but you can't help but wonder if he remembering the stroke will cross his mind while on the field. "I have no type of reservations," Bruschi said Wednesday before practice. "I think I've done ... everything that I had to do to make sure that my confidence level is high for when I need to stick my face in there. I'm going to stick it in and I'm going to stick it in hard." Bruschi is a class act, a model NFL player, and in some ways a hero. Could his return be the inspiration the Patriots need to get back on track? Even if he doesn't play for 8 more weeks, his leadership in the locker room and on the sideline might propel this team back to their winning ways.

The picture is copyright of ESPN 2005.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Armchair Quarterback said...

This is great for Houston! (and much needed considering the season the Texans are having in the NFL) The Astros are one of those organizations that play hard every year no matter what. I just hope I can watch the series without thinking of Jay Leno everytime I see Lance Berkman.

1:56 PM  
Blogger mhofeld said...

I'm taking the Astros in six.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home