Thursday, December 15, 2005

Should the Colts Rest the Starters?

Should the Indianapolis Colts rest their starters? This question has been debated for a few weeks now. The Colts are still undefeated, but have already wrapped up home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Should the Colts rest thier starters to keep them healthy for the playoffs, or should they keep playing everyone while trying to finish the season undefeated? Only one team in the modern era has ever finished a season undefeated, and that of course is the 1972 Dolphins.

Tony Dungy came out today and said he would not play Corey Simon and Cato June in this week's game against the San Diego Chargers. This is a big hit to the Colts defense. Should Tony Dungy play them to try and keep the undefeated streak alive? Dungy has said plenty of times this season their goal is to win a Superbowl, not go undefeated. He doesn't care about the record. Even though only 1 team in the last 33 years has gone undefeated, but something like 20+ different teams have won a Superbowl. In 20 years people won't remember who won the Superbowl in February 2006, but they will remember an undefeated season.

If I were the coach, I'm not sure what I would do. I would probably play all my startes until I had a comfortable lead. I would play to win. If the Colts were losing at any point, I would keep all my starters in. But if they have a 14 point lead going into the 4th quarter, I would rest some of my starters.

As a Marvin Harrison fantasy owner, I hope to God they don't rest him. Harrison has been a fantasy beast the last few weeks. I've got round 1 of the playoffs this weekend and need Harrison! I hope you're bluffing Dungy. Deep down I think you want that undefeated season almost as bad as a Superbowl Ring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home